[alsa-devel] [RFC] ucb1400 touchscreen, irq auto probing and ac97 with its private field

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Apr 25 12:15:50 CEST 2008

At Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:51:07 +0100,
Mark Brown wrote:

> > For multiple anonymous data, we can use a data with a key like below:
>
> This sounds like a reinvention of OpenFirmware, which presents pretty
> much the same sort of key/value interface.  It'd be nice to be able to
> share the same client code.

Yeah, that looks so.

> > and the controller driver assigns the data like
>
> Doing this would mean that the controller would need to be modified for
> each system that wants to pass configuration data to a driver - at that
> point much of the win from providing an interface like this is lost.

The question (must have been primery one) is what this data passing
should do really.  From my undesrstanding, it's data the controller
driver gives as some hints for the proper device configuration, IFF
the standard configuration doesn't work.

In the case of ucb1400, it's just an irq number.  It sounds logical to
just pass this as an optional info to the driver.
Now, you want to make it general so that you can use it for other
purposes -- but what are the other purpose exactly?  IOW, such data
must be passed through ac97 struct inevitably?