[alsa-devel] asoc tsc210x

Liam Girdwood lg at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Fri Apr 25 11:35:31 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 12:01 +0300, Jarkko Nikula wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:05 AM, <ext-jukka.hynninen at vaisala.com> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm assessing TSC2100 codec on an embdedded system.
> >
> > Any intentions on implementing an ASoC codec driver for TSC210x family?
> I'm not aware, but in linux-omap there are some non-ASoC and touchscreen
> implementations for them.
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git;a=tree;f=sound/arm/omap;h=06529db6de88ab1cdd08807706e71ef5d1b764dd;hb=HEAD
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git;a=tree;f=drivers/input/touchscreen;h=e48f7c3a3e2a1c77f52f6886e96658a2e43534a2;hb=HEAD
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git;a=tree;f=drivers/spi;h=4b16fb8682fdc018297e4a329689b537e77f3971;hb=HEAD
> Could the multi-function nature of the chip raise some issues with ASoC
> > framework?
> >
> Probably. E.g. in TSC2301 the touchscreen subsystem starts using audio MCLK
> input whenever the audio subsystem is powered on and some internal clock
> otherwise. So there can always be some undocumented subsystem dependencies.

Fwiw, we have handled a multi function PMIC with RTC, watchdog,
backlight, audio, regulator, LED and audio drivers under ASoC here :-

All client drivers (including audio) are handled via a bus manager in
order to manage IO and generic device functions e.g. irq's

The ASoC driver just becomes another client of the multi function device
bus manager.