[alsa-devel] [RFC] ucb1400 touchscreen, irq auto probing and ac97 with its private field

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Apr 24 23:33:28 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 05:44:10PM +0200, Sebastian Siewior wrote:
> * Mark Brown | 2008-04-24 16:02:12 [+0100]:

> >> [3] is the issue with the WM97xx touchscreen drivers.  That's currently
> >> solved by exactly this issue - as far as I can see from the patch you

> >The second issue should be method.

> I don't think that this is the right way in this case:

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that this was desperately elegant.

> - this information equals a global variable. You can't have two
>   touchscreens without extra hacking.

Indeed.  In this case it doesn't really matter since it's vanishingly
unlikely that any such systems would actually exist.

> - if we keep doing this for all drivers (not just ucb1400) they gonna
>   look like drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.c (look line 998+) once this chip
>   spreads across buses.

The WM97xx driver avoids this by registering a child driver for the
platform code to bind to.  Again, I don't mean to suggest that this is
particularly elegant.