[alsa-devel] Buffering issues 2

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Apr 24 11:47:54 CEST 2008

At Thu, 24 Apr 2008 03:18:33 +0200,
Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Heya!
>
> In addition to the buffering issues pointed out on http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-April/007354.html
> I now have some more issues with the way buffering works in ALSA.
>
> This time I am pretty sure it's a bug in the HDA drivers.

Yes, it's known that some (many?) HD-audio hardwares have bugs
regarding the DMA position inquiry.  They don't update the DMA positon
properly and/or give inaccurate positions.  The driver passes the
value as hardware gives, and this seems to fool some apps
(e.g. JACK).

I'll try to implement some workaround in the driver, at least, not to
return the wrong position in near future.