[alsa-devel] Alsa Callbacks and C++ classes

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 04:28:25 CEST 2008

Hello all,

I have an AES32 sound card that I am trying to write a general control
interface for using qt4. I'm wanting to register callbacks so that the
interface will reflect changes made by other apps. Now I'm not entirely up to
speed on the API, but from what I can gather, the callback can be registered
to call a regular function, or to change a public class variable.

Since I decided to use qt4, everything is in classes. Is there any way to have
the callback trigger a public class function? I guess I don't understand why
you would want to use a public variable instead. Wouldn't you have to set up
a means within the class to continually pole the variable to see if it has
been changed? Or can the option to call a regular function be used to call a
public class function as well?

Go easy on me. I'm not much of an experienced programmer. More of a hack who
can kinda get by with his sloppy programming most of the time.

Thanks,
-Reuben