[alsa-devel] What does 0dB refer to? (Logitech USB Speakers)

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Tue Apr 15 19:14:23 CEST 2008

John Rigg:

> I don't have a problem with the average desktop user wanting
> their sound cards to be easy to use. I just have a problem with
> the idea that the tools I rely on to do my job might be broken
> by a "one size fits all" approach to all audio interfaces.

Yes, there is no "one size" that will fit all. As there ain't "two
sizes" that would fit two distinct parties ("consumers"
and "professionals"). The distinction is pretty useless.

ALSA does the right thing to init with everything muted. So the next
best place to do anything useful is distro installation and hotplug
events. Distros should really improve their mechanisms to ask and
remember what the user wants.

Wolfgang