[alsa-devel] What does 0dB refer to? (Logitech USB Speakers)

Florian Faber faber at faberman.de
Tue Apr 15 06:09:00 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 01:57:45 Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Dude, hush, hush, fix Wikipedia! It still says: "The decibel (dB) is
> a logarithmic unit of measurement that expresses the magnitude of a
> physical quantity _relative_ _to_ a specified or implied _reference_
> _level_".

The reference level is well defined (depending on the consumer/pro audio
context) and so is dBFS, dBu(RMS) and dBV(RMS). I don't see any problem
with that except that some people don't seem to know about this or
don't care. Especially crappy sound card manufacturers.

Oh boy, and we didn't even start bringing in head room into the debate..

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key 6C002249          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net