[alsa-devel] What does 0dB refer to? (Logitech USB Speakers)

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Sun Apr 13 14:09:23 CEST 2008

Florian Faber wrote:
> On Sunday 13 April 2008 12:51:54 James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>

>> Are the output levels from the line out/speaker out connectors really
>> any different between pro and cheap sound card?
>>

> The electric levels do differ. But that's not the point. The point is
> that you usually have active speakers and 0dB means full throttle. You
> don't have anything to alter the volume between the sound card and the
> speakers.
>
> To give you an impression: My main out is -40..-36dB for work. If I want
> to talk to another person in the same room, I have to dim to -46dB max.
> If I throw a party, it might go up to -20..-15dB. 0dB will just pop out
> the ear drums.

All active speakers act as a combined amp and speaker.
If you have a 50W active speaker, your -36dB for work might be right.
But, if you have a 300W active speaker, your -36dB will probably be way
too loud.
This is essentially my point that the sound card cannot really decide
which is a sensible level to output.

James