[alsa-devel] What does 0dB refer to? (Logitech USB Speakers)

John Rigg aldev at sound-man.co.uk
Sat Apr 12 14:01:37 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 12:15:18PM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> Finally, does anyone else think -40dB for the Master, and 0dB for all
> other controls is too loud for the default or not?

On my system, anything other than minimum gain and muted across the
board is too loud. There has to be a clear distinction between
pro/semi-pro vs. consumer hardware. If a desktop computer doesn't give
sound by default it's inconvenient. If a recording engineer blows up
a 20000 euro pair of speakers because he expected things to start muted,
it's more than inconvenient.

John