[alsa-devel] External IO plugin question

Taek Joo Kim taicki at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 02:06:18 CEST 2008

Hi. I am working on ALSA external IO plugin now. Its function is
similar to the pulse plugin. A server sends sound to multiple clients.

When I play sound with my plugin, the sound is played really fast. It
means that it is like playing with x5 or x10 speed. I did not write
any code for synchronization between server and client. To try to fix
it, I saw the pulse plugin. I guess that it uses some synchronization
code (poll_descriptors), but I am not sure.

My questions are:
1. Which part should take care of playing sound properly in this
architecture, server or client?
2. Do I need to deal with synchronization between server and client?
3. If 2 is yes, is there any hints to do this with multiple clients?

Thank you in advance.