[alsa-devel] Softvol for Independent Volume Control

Cameron Barfield cbarfield.cd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 22:16:24 CEST 2008

Hi --

I've got an application that receives multiple network audio streams. Using DMIX, I am
able to play back all the streams through my sound card.

The problem is that I would like to be able to independently adjust the volume of each
audio stream. Would Softvol work for this? All the examples I've found only show Softvol
working as a replacement for a master volume control (and that's all I've been able to get
it to do).

If Softvol won't work for independent volume controls, is there any other ALSA plugin or
API call that I'm missing? Switching to something like Pulseaudio would probably not be an
option since I'm running in an embedded environment.

Regards,
Cameron