[alsa-devel] When to start the capture device?

J. Scott Merritt alsauser at pragmasoft.com
Thu Sep 20 17:46:12 CEST 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:23:30 +0200
Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:

> snd_pcm_prepare() is required to recover the stream from XRUN or any
> other errors.  But, for the recovery purpose, we have now
> snd_pcm_recover() as a generic solution, too.

It appears that (currently) the additional benefit of snd_pcm_recover
is simply that of resuming the stream.  However, I haven't seen any
details on when/why a stream would become suspened and require this
type of recovery.

Also, in SALSA, it appears that snd_pcm_recover can -block- even if
the stream has been configured for non-blocking behavior.