[alsa-devel] Sound trouble with MCP61 chipset.

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Sep 20 16:29:32 CEST 2007

At Tue, 18 Sep 2007 14:02:21 -0400,
Steven Young wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   I had sent a message a couple of weeks ago regarding a somewhat
> reproducible error I'm having with onboard audio for systems with the
> MCP61 chipset.  Specifically, the left channel doesn't work, and emits a
> high-pitched tone whenever the audio device is open.  Also, adjusting
> the volume disables all sound until the kernel modules for sound are all
> reloaded.
>
>   I didn't receive any response to that message; is this the right place
> to ask? I have two machines, both with the MCP61 chipset, and both with
> the same problem.  I have included the lspci -v output of one of them
> below.

Still too little information to analyze.  I see only that you
apparently have an ASUS machine with HD-audio controller.
Which version of ALSA driver are you using?  Which codec is on it?  It
can be obtained from /proc/asound/card0/codec#* file.

It might help to pass various model options for testing in most
cases.  See ALSA-Configuartion.txt for details.

HTH,