[alsa-devel] OSS app works but aplay does not with SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_U32_LE

Steve Strobel steve.strobel at link-comm.com
Wed Sep 19 19:32:59 CEST 2007

At 10:03 AM 9/19/2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>Steve Strobel wrote:
> > At 12:46 AM 9/19/2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > > or did you create a card-specific .conf file for your controller?
> >
> > Not intentionally, but there might be one left over from the AD1836
> > driver I started with (I have just been modifying that driver,
> > planning to rename it after I get it working).  Where would I look
> > for such a file?
>
>In /usr/share/alsa/cards/, with the driver name.

I don't have a file there;  that directory doesn't even exist:

     root:/mnt/Blackfin/Sound Files> ls
/usr/share
     sounds    terminfo

Should I have a configuration file in one of those places?  If I
don't, where do the default values come from?  My version of ALSA:

     root:/mnt/Blackfin/Sound Files> cat /proc/asound/version
     Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.12rc1 (Thu
Jun 22 13:55:50 2006 UTC).

>Does it work when running aplay with the parameter "-D plughw"?

No.  It searches through more rules, but still says, "Sample format
non available".  I put a log of the console output with and without
"-D plughw" at <http://link-comm.com/temp/aplay-log.txt> to save bandwidth.

One thing I hadn't noticed before is the message:

     ALSA lib
../../../src/pcm/pcm_params.c:2152:(snd_pcm_hw_refine_slave) Slave
PCM not usable
   refine done - result = -22

Does a result code of -22 mean anything significant?

You wrote in an earlier message:> > snd_pcm_hw_refine()
 > > ACCESS = 00000000ffffffffffffffff -> 0000000000000008
 > > FORMAT = 0000000000000400 -> 0000000000000000
 >
 > aplay tries to set S32_LE, but the driver doesn't accept it.

I think I understand how the driver uses the snd_pcm_hardware_t
structure to tell ALSA what it supports, but I don't understand how
ALSA tries to set things in return.  I am surprised that it would try
to set it to a data type that the driver never said it could
support.  I suppose I could make the driver accept either S32 or U32,
detect which mode ALSA is trying to use, and do the conversion in the
driver, but I though that was what plughw was supposed to do.

>Regards,
>Clemens

Thanks,
Steve