[alsa-devel] Enabling in-kernel synch for M-Audio boards

Ludovico Verducci ludwigvan at alice.it
Mon Sep 17 12:22:19 CEST 2007

Hello all!

I'm developing a complex multichannel audio distribution system where
multiple linux boxes will stream audio data over ethernet and then
should play audio at sample level resolution synchronization. The boxes
clocks are synchronized over ethernet using PTP.
I need to keep in synch the audio board's clocks and I can't use an
external wordclock nor s/pdif.

At the moment I'm experimenting with m-audio delta 1010, based on envy24
(VT1712). I know these boards can synch their clocks over PCI signalling
(in windows drivers this feature support synching up to 4 boards), but
ALSA drivers don't implement that feature.
I'm trying to implement a similar feature (controlling board clock synch
through kernel module), but it's very difficult without a good starting
point!
Is there anyone that could give me some help, support or infos? I would
eventually appreciate also hardware reference designs or application
notes about the VIA envy24 VT1712 chip.

Obviously, should I ever be successful in the implementation, those
features could be eventually added to ALSA drivers.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,

Ludovico