[alsa-devel] Default probe_mask option

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Sep 6 16:32:52 CEST 2007

Hi,

it's a known fact that snd-hda-intel driver doesn't work as is on many
devices.  It's often solved by adding a proper probe_mask option
(usually because of non-working modem codec).  Also, in some machines,
position_fix is necessary.

Now, as of ALSA 1.0.15-rc1, the driver has a built-in table for
setting the default probe_mask and/or position_fix for known "buggy"
devices.

I'd like to ask you give feedback for this.  If you have a machine
that works ONLY with a probe_mask or a position_fix option, let me
know.  Give the output of "lspci -nv" (only for the audio device,
which has class 0403) together with the product name.  Then I'll add
the entry for your device so that you won't need extra option on
1.0.15-final release.

Please make sure that you test the latest driver, at least,
1.0.15-rc1, at best the latest HG version.  Don't give a report with
1.0.14 or older versions.  It doesn't help.

For convenience for people that don't use HG, the daily snapshot
tarball can be downloaded from:
	ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/driver/

Thanks in advance,