[alsa-devel] ALSA lib troubles with xine

Markus Korber korbse at gmx.at
Mon Sep 3 08:53:12 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've got problems using ALSA (hg) and xine-lib (1.1.7).  I'm trying to
use fbxine for playback but ALSA debug logging gives me:

,----
| audio_alsa_out: Audio Device name = default
| audio_alsa_out: Number of channels = 2
| Buffer size range from 4096 to 0            <- !!!
| Period size range from 0 to 0               <- !!!
| Buffer time size 44100
| To choose buffer_size = 4096
| To choose period_size = 512
| was set period_size = 0
| was set buffer_size = 4096
| audio_alsa_out:open pause_resume=1
| ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
| FORMAT:  S16_LE
| SUBFORMAT:  STD
| SAMPLE_BITS: 16
| FRAME_BITS: 32
| CHANNELS: 2
| RATE: 44100
| PERIOD_TIME: (46439 46440)
| PERIOD_SIZE: 2048
| PERIOD_BYTES: 8192
| PERIODS: 2
| BUFFER_TIME: (92879 92880)
| BUFFER_SIZE: 4096
| BUFFER_BYTES: 16384
| TICK_TIME: 10000
| audio_alsa_out: Unable to set swparams: Invalid argument
`----

So buffer and period sizes seem to be wrong and therefore I get no
sound.  (audio_alsa_out logging from [1].)  Next I've tried to run
speaker-test and the ouptut look good:

,----
| [root@(none) ~]# speaker-test
|
| speaker-test 1.0.15rc1
|
| Playback device is default
| Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
| Using 16 octaves of pink noise
| Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
| Buffer size range from 4096 to 4096
| Period size range from 2048 to 2048
| Using max buffer size 4096
| Periods = 4
| was set period_size = 2048
| was set buffer_size = 4096
|  0 - Front Left
`----

Both applications are linked against the same ALSA library (dynamic or
static linkage doesn't make a difference - speaker-test always works and
xine always fails).  And both applications use the same instructions
(snd_pcm_hw_params_get_period_size_min/max()) AFAICS.

Any ideas what I could try next?  Thanks.

Toolchain: buildroot based arm gcc 4.2.1 with uclibc 0.9.29.  However,
other applications (mplayer, aplay, alsaplayer) work as well, so I guess
it's not toolchain related.

[1] http://xine.cvs.sourceforge.net/xine/xine-lib/src/audio_out/audio_alsa_out.c

Regards,
Markus Korber