[alsa-devel] aplay appication failed to open the alsa device

Tharmarajan G tharma at e-consystems.com
Wed Oct 24 06:41:38 CEST 2007

Hi,
	I am working on a Development Board which has the PXA270 processor and
TSC2301 Audio Codec Chip.

	The TSC2301 Chip is interfaced with the processor by SPI interface for
reading/writing the TSC2301's registers.

	The TSC2301 Chip is interfaced with the processor by I2S interface for
sending/receiving Audio Data to/from the TSC2301 Audio Codec Chip.

	I have downloaded the pxa-uda1380.c alsa driver source for uda1380
audio codec chip and modified it for tsc2301 .

	I am using the kernel version 2.6.22 and cross-compiler version
arm-linux-gcc 3.4.1.

	I have built the kernel image with ALSA audio support and the
applications aplay and arecord for playing and recording audio data
using ALSA api.

	I have got the alsa related entries in the /proc filesystem . But when
playing the aplay, it failed to open the device.

[root at SIRIUS /flash2]#./aplay /usr/local/Songs/AjRaj-Anthimanthirai-Theme4.mp3
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:545: audio open error: No such file or directory
[root at SIRIUS /flash2]#

/aplay
-D /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p /usr/local/Songs/AjRaj-Anthimanthirai-Theme4.mp3
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown
PCM /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
aplay: main:545: audio open error: No such file or directory

What could be the issue ? Am I missing anyting in the driver for alsa ?

Regards,
Tharmarajan G