[alsa-devel] patch for Dell 1210 which using stac9221 codec

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Oct 19 07:38:08 CEST 2007

At Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:02:43 +0800,
zhejiang wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 22:55 +0800, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:49:16 +0800,
> > zhejiang wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Dell 1210 have three jacks on the front.
> > > Two of them serve as output jack and one serve as microphone.
> > > The microphone can be switched to output model too.
> > >
> > > There are some problems with current dell 1210 driver:
> > > 1.Unable to use the front microphone
> > > 2.Unable to switch the microphone
> > > 3.If plug the left hp,another hp will be muted,so it's impossible to
> > > work as 6-channel
> > >
> > > According to the issue 0003427 on alsa-bugzilla,
> >
> > Oops is bad.  Does it still happen with the latest HG tree?
> > This should be fixed urgently at first.
> >
> The oops won't happen with the latest HG tree.
> The reason of the oops is that there is no input pin.
>
> Now the snd_hda_input_mux_put() will check the input_mux.num_items,
> if it is equal to zero,snd_hda_input_mux_put() will return directly
> and avoid the oops.

OK, good to hear.

> > > I wrote a patch and the reporter helped me to test it on his
> > machine.
> > > It can support the front microphone. When switch the microphone to
> > > output model, it can mute/unmute the internal speaker with
> > jack-sensing.
> >
> > Thanks for the patch.  I have little time right now for checking in
> > details, but the changes appear in fairly deep level.
>
> Yes,It's hard to support such kind of machine with current
> stac92xx_parse_auto_config().So my patch changed so many generic
> functions. :-).
>
> > I think we should rather fix the current code to handle multiple
> > headphones better than the ad-hoc fixes.  Surely there will be other
> > models that require similar fixes (if you see Dell has shipped how
> > many different variants :)
> > Takashi
> >

> Great!
> I think this model should support:
> 1.Each headphone can mute the internal speaker.
> 2.Even the Front mic can work output jack
> 3.When mic works as output jack,it can mute the internal speaker too.
>
> Does this make sense? Thanks!

This sounds good.

Does Dell 1210 have both front and rear mic jacks?  I don't know of
this machine, so it'd be helpful to understand if you describe the
available I/O (PINs and jacks) and expected behavior briefly here.
Since sigmatel patch uses the single detection code for every device,
we need to cover all possible scenarios with different I/O mappings.

Thanks,