[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] How to get set/fixed sample rate of ALSA device?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Oct 16 15:26:58 CEST 2007

At Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:20:10 +0200,
Rene Herman wrote:

> On 10/09/2007 02:23 AM, Rene Herman wrote:
>
> > Not too sure about that subformat thing by the way. Jaroslav (or anyone,
> > obviously): is the subformat intended/designed to be format-specific or
> > snd_pcm_t global?
> >
> > Currently there is only ever one subformat (STD) anyway but generally,
> > I'd expect a subformat to be specific to a given format. There's just
> > one non format-specific SND_PCM_SUBFORMAT_LAST though, no defines (or
> > functions) to get subformats from the format. Is the design that all
> > formats would be supporting all subformats or something?
>
> Takashi, with Jaroslav his usual blackhole self -- do you know what the idea
> is of the subformats?

I'm also not 100% sure, and I think this hasn't been much discussed
until now.  That's why we have no definition yet.

As my understanding, it could be both.  The sub-format is in general
an additional attribute.  An attribute can be generic for all formats
and can be specific for certain formats.

IMO, we can drop this field now (but keep it as a place holder for
compatibility).