[alsa-devel] intel-hda patch for Dell Latitude D531

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Oct 16 10:10:06 CEST 2007

At Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:38:03 +0200 (CEST),
Jan-Marek Glogowski wrote:

> > > 1. patch_sigmatel.c.diff
> > >
> > > I have a Latitude D531 which has a ATI SB600 with a STAC 9205. The
> > > chip is detected, but no config was read with the latest drivers. The
> > > problems are the dmic_nids arrays, which are ignored for auto config
> > > lookup. This calles is_in_nid_list, which expects a 0 terminated list,
> > > but these arrays are not.
> >
> > Oh thanks, I queued the fix on to my local tree.
> > I'll apply it soon after releasing 1.0.15.
>
> Any reason, why the array fix can't go into 1.0.15?

Because it's code-frozen right now.

> > > Additionally I updated the dell_9205_m43_pin_configs with values from
> > > the latest win drivers.
> >
> > Hm, I'm not pretty about this.  Does this change work for your machine
> > well (I suppose you have a Dell Precision).
>
> Should I try to get sound running with the old config? The real probem
> with the driver where the unterminated arrays, which I found after
> adapting the pin configs. I have no idea, if the driver can work with the
> old values. Is there real chance, even if the driver is working with my
> adapted values?

Just try to remove the change for pin configs from your patch, and
check whether it still works.

> I have no knowledge about all the Dell product lines, but mine is a Dell
> Latitude D531 and is AMD + ATI based (it's a model from the german
> municipal administration page of Dell).

Interesting.  In stac9205_cfg_tbl[], only Dell Precision is listed, so
far.

> > > 3. patch_sigmatel_dell.h
> > >
> > > Output from running create_dell_tables.pl on the latest drivers for my
> > > D531 from  Dell.
> >
> > That'll certainly help for debugging although we may need to tidy up a
> > bit.
>
> The perl script is GPL so just help yourself. The script tries to identify
> duplicateds and merge these into one value. I know there are also some
> GPIO information in the INI files of the driver.
>
> BTW - the windows driver identifies the Dell notebook by the complete PCI
> ID of of the sound device, while the linux driver just uses the SUB IDs.

PCI IDs are already used for the identifier of the driver itself.
Only missing is the check of PCI revision ID.