[alsa-devel] 1.0.15rc3 patch_analog.s bug + fix

Peter Skensved peter at jay.phy.queensu.ca
Mon Oct 15 22:34:21 CEST 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 01:29:50PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:53:03 -0400,
> Peter Skensved wrote:
> >
> >      Hi,
> >   I've come across a problem with the 1.0.15rc3 alsa driver on my Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop using
> > the auto mute feature - it appears to work backwards !  Plugging in the headphones unmutes the
> > external speakers and unplugging the heaphones mutes them ...
> >
> >   Changing the if statement in line ~600 in patch_analog.c in ad1986a_update_hp to
> >
> >     if (!spec->jack_preset)
> >
> > makes it work the intended way.  ( spec->jack_present changes state  _before_ the call to
> > ad1986a_hp_automute )
>
> Hmm, the code logic looks correct to me.  If HP jack is present, the
> internal speaker should be muted.  Otherwise it follows the state of
> HP jack (muted/unmuted, that acts as a master switch).

   Well - in the default mode the jack is present and the internal speakers are permanently
muted until I plug in a set of headphones no matter how I toggle the speaker mute in the mixer.

  With headphones plugged in I can mute and unmute the internal speakers in alsa mixer

  Surely the default cannot be that I have to carry a set of headphones with my
laptop all the time ???!!???

> Is jack_present set/reset correctly when HP jack is plugged/unplugged
> at all?  Or, the pin NID is swapped, or any other reason?

  I sprinkled some printk's in the driver :
 On entry to ad1986a_update_hp :     plugging headphones into jack : spec->jack_present = 0
                                     removing headphones from jack : spec->jack_present = 1