[alsa-devel] New alsa lowlevel driver for the SE-200PCI and SE-90PCI

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Oct 10 15:03:46 CEST 2007

At Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:49:37 +0900,
sh_okada at d4.dion.ne.jp wrote:

> >Second, the mixer control names should follow standard names
> >(somehow).  For example, in your code,
> > {"Front(green) Playback Volume"	,WM8776output	,VOLUME1,0,NULL}
> >,{"Surround(orange) Playback Volume"	,WM8766		,VOLUME1,1,NULL}
> >,{"SurroundBack(white) Playback Volume"	,WM8766		,VOLUME1,2,NULL
> >}
> >,{"CenterAndSW(black) Playback Volume"	,WM8766		,VOLUME1,0,NULL}
> >we have standard names: Front Playback Volume, Surround Playback
> >Volume, Side Playback Volume, CLFE Playback Volume.  If Center and LFE
> >can be split, it'd be much better to have two mono controls, Center
> >Playback Volume and LFE Playback Volume.
>
> And I want to rewrite as this.
>
> But in Japan, How to call is different.
> the speaker put the side of the seat position say SurroundSpeaker
> and the speaker put the back say BackSpeaker.
> When comparing it
> Side <-> SurroundSpeaker
> Surround <-> BackSpeaker

The definition of "Surround" in ALSA mixer is the primary surround
channels, and it usually corresponds to Surround Rear (Back).  Thus
your mapping above looks correct.

> The twist phenomenon has occurred.
> What shall we do?
>
> Though it is a proposal,
> How about saying that the comment area will be added to the control name?
> Like "Surround(orange) Playback Volume",
> and When it is necessary to match the pattern,
> the area of parentheses is deleted.

This simply breaks the existing rule, and present mixer apps won't be
able to parse the name as is.  The mixer name string is used not for
an ID but as a component role.  If we inevitablly need a new attribute
such as jack colors, let's use TLV information, for example.

IMO, this is a pure option.  The life goes well without such
information.  So, let's implement the code in the usual style, then
add extra information to give improvements.

Thanks,