[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] How to get set/fixed sample rate of ALSA device?

Bill Unruh unruh at physics.ubc.ca
Mon Oct 8 21:14:34 CEST 2007

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Peteris Krisjanis wrote:

>> Introducing a /proc/asound/card0/pcm0{p,c}/hw_limits or similar might not be
>> a bad idea though?
>
> That would be good idea, with completion with 'alsainfo' about device.
>
> How to do that properly, any clues before I try to sink my teeths in ALSA code?

Is this even possible? Ie, do sound cards actually tell you what their max
or min hardware capabilities are and what info might you put into here? Ie,
some cards can do 2 or 4 or 5.1 channel output. Do you put that in?
And re speed, does the card actually advertise what speeds it supports, or
is it more a matter of trying and if it does not support it, it rejects it.