[alsa-devel] Intel HDA digital out distortion

pr0t0cod7 pr0t0cod7 at free.fr
Wed Oct 3 22:18:46 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Monday 23 July 2007 23:09:24 Ingmar Stieger wrote:

> a couple of weeks ago, I bought an ASUS mainboard with integrated
> Intel
> HDA and an AD1988B codec. Unfortunately, the digital / SPDIF output
> gets distorted with stock 1.0.14 drivers. It does not matter what the
> volume levels of the various mixers are set to.

I have the same issues.

Any sound is distorted through spdif output (seems more pronounced with
low frequencies.)

Sound is not distorted:
 - using passthough (playing AC3)
 - when volume is set to the very minimal (no perceptible distortion)
 - with analog output

My motherboard: ASUS P5B deluxe with integrated soundchip
Kernel: 2.6.22
Alsa: Intel HD audio kernel built module
asound.conf: http://pastebin.com/f2c54b47b

> I think I might have found the source for this problem. Maybe it's
> only a workaround, but it solved the issue and digital out now works
> fine for me, so I thought I'd share.

The patch worked for me, no more distortion :)
Thanks for sharing,
Alex.