[alsa-devel] [Ekiga-devel-list] Pls don't require exclusive Alsa audio device access, use snd_pcm_dmix_open ()

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Nov 28 17:22:13 CET 2007

At Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:01:47 +0100,
thomas schorpp wrote:

> > +1 Dmix should not be enforced... this can be handled at a lower
> > level.... e.g. with dmix configured in alsa config or by using
> > pulseaudio instead of dmix (my preferred solution so I can switch from
> > my internal speakers to my usb headset should I plug it in mid-call).
> >
> > Col.
>
> alsa docs say dmix config files are no longer neccessary?

The behavior depends on the name string passed to snd_pcm_open().
If you open the PCM with "default", the alsa-lib takes an approriate
configuration for multi-playback and automatic conversions.  But, if
app opens with other strings like "hw" or "plughw", then it means
that it's an exclusive access.  dmix cannot be involved with that.