[alsa-devel] rme hdsp pcmcia (and probably pci) broken

Christian Schumann schumann at physik.uni-kl.de
Tue Nov 27 08:59:09 CET 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 05:45:03PM -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Hi, anyone has a pcmcia rme card running? And working? With a reasonably
> recent alsa? (this probably applies also for the regular pci rme cards,
> I've had reports on the Planet CCRMA list about problems that sound
> similar to this one).

[...]
> BROKEN means: after starting hdspmixer I get no sound from the analog
> outputs (all previous tries play sound correctly with the default preset
> in hdspmixer). Some channels do appear (using a Digiface II). In the
> "broken" drivers I can get sound with the default preset if I send a
> signal to channels 7 and 12, all other stay muted.
>
> Something broke drastically in the driver between 2007.08.30 and
> 2007.10.12.
I can confirm this in the way that I had very similar experiences.
Although I do not clearly remember the kernel version I was trying to
use, it was alsa 1.0.15 with a rme pcmcia digiface I.
No sound was audible, and hdspmixer did not show any signal on the
outputs, although (at least in the same configuration with 1.0.14) it
was sent to the device.

I just wanted to get some work done, so I did not delve into the problem
any deeper. But a fix would certainly be nice.

Regards
Christian

Dipl.-Phys. Christian Schumann   |Technische Universitaet Kaiserslautern
Mail: schumann at physik.uni-kl.de  |           Fachbereich Physik
Tel.: 0631/205-4842 (Office)     |     http://www.physik.uni-kl.de
Tel.: 0631/205-4843 (Lab)        |
Fax.: 0631/205-3902              |
Post: Erwin-Schroedinger-Strasse, D-67663 Kaiserslautern