[alsa-devel] Inappropriate ioctl for device on alsalib with uclibc and arm platform

Federico Fuga f.fuga at people.it
Fri Nov 23 18:49:17 CET 2007

Takashi Iwai ha scritto:
>>> ioctl(4, USBDEVFS_HUB_PORTINFO, 0xbeab0768) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate
>>> Looks like the definition of SNDRV_CTL_ICOTL_ELEM_WRITE doesn't match
>>> with the user-space and the kernel, most likely the size of struct
>>> snd_ctl_elem_value.  This might be a word alignment issue.
> Well, I vaguely remember about the ARM cross-compiling problem.
> Checking the mail archive might help...

I have solved that problem.
While compiling the kernel, the alsa modules (not the alsa-driver, but
that one included in the "vanilla" sources) are compiled with the option
When compiling the library, that option is missing, using, as default,
another abi and, evidently, another data alignment => another struct
size => another ioctl.
I send you that for reference, but I think that a more general solution
should be nice.
Best regards, ant thank you for your interest.

ing. Federico Fuga