[alsa-devel] alsa timestamps

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Nov 20 15:09:51 CET 2007

At Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:41:46 +0200,
Heikki Lindholm wrote:

> Jaroslav Kysela kirjoitti:

> >> I figured out that this doesn't happen when using hw:x,y devices. Is it
> >> a documented feature that some (software?) devices don't fill in timestamps?
> >
> > I think that it should be fixed. Could you send us 'snd_pcm_dump()' for a
> > non-working device? It's probably ommited code in direct pcm plugins (dmix
> > & etc.).
>
> Here goes. The driver is snd_aoa. It seems as if the timestamp mode
> isn't propagated to the hw device.

AFAIK, the time-stamp mode isn't handled properly with direct plugins
because of its nature.  Since the direct plugins share the same PCM
hardware instance with multiple processes, you cannot change the
parameter arbitrarily from a single client.

We may implement an emulation in alsa-lib instead, though...