[alsa-devel] Duplex syncronization in ALSA

Fredrik Lingvall fl at ifi.uio.no
Tue Nov 20 13:58:42 CET 2007

Hi all,

I am an researcher in the field of acoustic (ultrasonic) signal
processing. Normally we use dedicated hardware where the transmit and
receive processes are synchronized. Now I want to use a multi-channel
sound card (in my case a RME Multiface card) to perform, for example,
simple beamforming. Typically, one transmit pulses on an array of
transducers (speakers) where each pulse is delayed a certain amount to
create focusing or beemsteering. By knowing the soundspeed in the
propagation medium one can calculate the double path time-of-flight to
various points and then, by beamforming the received signals, one can
get an image of the objects that are in front of the acoustic array.

Now to my problem: in order to do the processing one need to know the
delay in the system from transmit to receive. I have looked at the ALSA
lib API docs and some code examples (pcm.c, aplay etc) and it looks like
the playback and capture processes are independent in ALSA (i.e., there
is no write-and-read-at-the-same-time function). The latency inherent in
the soundcard isn't that much of a problem if it is know. It is, however
a problem if the latency from transmit to receive is not constant from
measurement to measurement. I have written some code (for Octave) that
uses MMAP and poll:ing but I don't see how to synchronize the write and
read processes (they use two different poll fd:s). What is the best way
to do this? Is it possible at all?

Regards

/Fredrik