[alsa-devel] Strange bug in .asoundrc ??

Dominique Larchey-Wendling Dominique.Larchey-Wendling at loria.fr
Mon Nov 19 16:06:13 CET 2007

 > It appears this behaviour is by design.

Ok so this is not a bug but a feature ;-)
However, it is not specified in the doc that alsa-lib makes a semantic
distinction between the types of objects in the alisp language.

What is strange is that the same function is called in alsa-lib to
expand hw:0 whether it is prefixed with "ctl" or "pcm" :

snd_config_search_definition(root, "ctl", name, &ctl_conf);

and

snd_config_search_definition(root, "pcm", name, &pcm_conf);

Of course there is the workaround

ctl.tata { type hw card 0 }

but my question was more why is it designed this way ? Perhaps I do not
see some tricky problem but it should not be difficult to modify
alsa-lib so that the behavior is coherent between the "ctl" and "pcm"
contexts ?

Regards,

Dominique