[alsa-devel] alsa-lib module path question

Ben C bchang_2 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 21:14:39 CET 2007

Hello,

I've written an ALSA external PCM plugin for a client's embedded device. During the client's compilation of alsa-lib (which I have no control over), they did not specify where the module directory should be at. In fact, they're using 1.0.13 where there isn't a configure option to specify the module directory  (this was added 1.0.14?). Since this is an embedded project, due to cross compilation, alsa-lib is currently looking at some host directory that does not exist on the target to search for the libasound_module_pcm_xxx.so files. What's worse is that seems like it is dependent on where the client decides to build the RFS (say from /home/joe/project/xxx, but then later /home/bill/project/yyy) -- the alsa-lib module directory could change.

For now I've manually created the non-existent host directory on the target and dropped a symbolic link there. But since that could change should they decide to rebuild the RFS, that's not even a viable bad hack solution.

Is there any environment variable, configuration option or some other methods where this could be overwritten at runtime?

Thank you,
Ben