[alsa-devel] Removal of indirect access in control API

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Thu Nov 15 18:29:06 CET 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ALSA control elements have "indirect" flag, which is supposed to allow
> the indirect access via pointer.  But, as far as I know, this feature
> has never been used nor implemented, and unsupported via 32/64bit
> compat layer.
>
> So, I'd like to get rid of this now.  The clean-up patch is below.
>
> If you have objections, please let me know.

I have objection. This layer was designed to support large mixer matrixes
like in the HDSPM driver (and if I remember correctly - implementation was
started after discussion with authors of RME drviers). HDSPM driver uses
hwdep interface now (probably because it was ported from the OSS code).
I think that it would be worth to use standard ALSA control interface to
track changes thus to finish indirect interface.

Which problems are with the 32/64 bit conversion layer? I suppose that it
is possible to write an ioctl converters.

					Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer