[alsa-devel] Mitac 8252D hda_intel

Tobin Davis tdavis at dsl-only.net
Thu Nov 15 17:53:33 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 12:40 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:51:10 +0000,
> glv wrote:
> >
> > (Second attempt, hope this works)
> >
> > Hello,
> > I have a Mitac 8252D computer with hda_intel, it has 3 sockets in front:
> > microphone, audio(headphones)and S/PDIF.
> > When using 5.1 the manual says:
> > Microphone: rear speakers
> > Audio:  front speakers
> > S/PDIF: center and subwoofer
> > Modprobing without any options gives me sound to the headphone and digital
> > socket and
> > Modprobing with model=6stack-hp gives me sound to the speakers to but they
> > stay on when headph. are pluged in
> >
> > Output from alsa-info.sh:
> > http://pastebin.ca/772406
> Posting here, at least the content of /proc/asound/codec#*, would be
> more helpful.

The link he posted is from alsa-info.sh, a script written by wishie on
 #alsa irc and heavily promoted by me.  It has the codec output, as
 well as everything else needed to determine how his system is

> Is the SPDIF optical?  If yes, the device should have two output pins,
> one for SPDIF and one for CLFE.  That'll be relatively easy.
> If the SPDIF output is really shared, it means that the digital audio
> out widget is used for the analog out, too.  It's not implemented in
> other devices, so the change would be somehow unique for this device.

Actually, a lot of laptops (mine included) have a mini-TOS plug
 combined with a headphone plug, so it is possible for an optical jack
 and an analog jack to share space.  Plugging in an spdif cable with
 mini-tos adapter activates the hp-detect routine.  I haven't tested
  spdif output yet (need a good stereo receiver), but that's the
 principle behind it.

Tobin Davis

In case of atomic attack, the federal ruling against prayer in schools
will be temporarily canceled.