[alsa-devel] [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

Randy Dunlap rdunlap at xenotime.net
Wed Nov 14 18:38:20 CET 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:08:47 +0100 Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Randy Dunlap <rdunlap at xenotime.net> wrote:
>
> > > (and this is in no way directed at the networking folks - it holds
> > > for all of us. I have one main complaint about networking: the
> > > separate netdev list is a bad idea - networking regressions should
> > > be discussed and fixed on lkml, like most other subsystems are. Any
> > > artificial split of the lk discussion space is bad.)
> >
> > but here I disagree.  LKML is already too busy and noisy. Major
> > subsystems need their own discussion areas.
>
> That's a stupid argument. We lose much more by forced isolation of
> discussion than what we win by having less traffic! It's _MUCH_ easier
> to narrow down information (by filter by threads, by topics, by people,
> etc.) than it is to gobble information together from various fractured
> sources. We learned it _again and again_ that isolation of kernel
> discussions causes bad things.
>
> In fact this thread is the very example: David points out that on netdev
> some of those bugs were already discussed and resolved. Had it been all
> on lkml we'd all be aware of it.

or had <someone> been on netdev.

> this is a single kernel project that is released together as one
> codebase, so a central place of discussion is obvious and common-sense.

Central doesn't have to mean one-and-only-one-list-for-everything.

> so please stop this "too busy and too noisy" nonsense already. It was
> nonsense 10 years ago and it's nonsense today. In 10 years the kernel
> grew from a 1 million lines codebase to an 8 million lines codebase, so
> what? Deal with it and be intelligent about filtering your information
> influx instead of imposing a hard pre-filtering criteria that restricts
> intelligent processing of information.

So you have a preferred method of handling email.  Please don't
force it on the rest of us.

I'll plan to use lkml-list-only when you have convinced DaveM to drop
all of the other mailing lists at vger.kernel.org.  Yeah, sure.

---
~Randy