[alsa-devel] HDA or AC97 for Nvidia MCP61S?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Nov 14 08:19:55 CET 2007

At Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:34:21 -0200,
alsa-devel.20.pris at spamgourmet.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as I already reported on another email I'm having problems with my sound:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/49412

Did you try my suggestion?

> My motherboard is PCCHIPS A13G+.
> The sound hardware of my Mobo is in the NVIDIA MCP61S Single chipset.
> This chipset consists of: GeForce(R) 6100 GPU and MCP nForce(R) 405
> Codec: Realtek ALC660-VD
>
> When looking at the soundcard matrix for Nvidia there are 2 options listed:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Nvidia
>
> AC97 nForce-1 - nForce-4
> HDA nForce-430 and later
>
> Since my chipset is nForce 405 should I select the first option
> AC97? But everyone seems to advise me to use the HDA option.

They are correct.  It's highly likely HD-audio only.
Even though the controller supports AC97, it's useless if the device
has no AC97 codec chip.

> When I look at the details for HDA I see only "Intel HDA driver" and
> nothing about which particular chipsets are supported.
> On the AC97 option there is a list of chips but all are from Intel and
> none from Nvidia.

Nvidia, AMD and other controller chips are almost compatible with the
first chip supported HD-audio, which was Intel.

> So I'm confused. Which soundcard is the correct one for me? Is my
> particular chipset supported at all?

Yes and yes.  It's no quesiton about the chipset but the hardware
implementation in another level.  Each mobo or laptop has slightly
different designs even with the same chipset.  This difference gives
great pain for HD-audio driver.