[alsa-devel] [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

Andrew Morton akpm at linux-foundation.org
Tue Nov 13 22:56:58 CET 2007

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:33:58 +0100 Jörn Engel <joern at logfs.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 November 2007 15:18:07 -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
> >
> > I just find it weird that something can be known broken for several -rc*
> > kernels before I happen to install it, discover it's broken on my own
> > machine,
> > and then I track it down, fix it, and submit the patch, generally all
> > within a
> > couple of hours.  Where the heck was the dude(ess) that broke it ??  AWOL.
> >
> > And when I receive hostility from the "maintainers" of said code for fixing
> > their bugs, well.. that really motivates me to continue reporting new ones..
>
> Given a decent bug report, I agree that having the bug not looked at is
> shameful.  But what can a developer do if a bug report effectively reads
> "there is some bug somewhere in recent kernels"?  How can I know that in
> this particular case it is my bug that I introduced?  It could just as
> easily be 50 other people and none of them are eager to debug it unless
> they suspect it to be their bug.

It's relatively common that a regression in subsystem A will manifest as a
failure in subsystem B, and the report initially lands on the desk of the
subsystem B developers.

But that's OK.  The subsystem B people are the ones with the expertise to
be able to work out where the bug resides and to help the subsystem A
people understand what went wrong.

Alas, sometimes the B people will just roll eyes and do nothing because
they know the problem wasn't in their code.  Sometimes.