[alsa-devel] [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

Mark Lord liml at rtr.ca
Tue Nov 13 21:13:46 CET 2007

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 02:26:05PM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
..
>> If you've been making significant updates to a driver/subsystem,
>> and people are reporting that it is now broken for them,
>
> What are "significant updates"?
>
> Sometimes one person makes one small patch and this patch contains
> a typo.
..

Then that person should double check their changes against
the problems reported, and re-convince themselves that the
breakage wasn't from those.  Simple.

>> then it's your job to make it right.
>
> We have some open drivers/ata/ regressions.
..

Yup, but they're more specific than just that entire subsystem,
and the maintainers are actively pursuing the problems.
Exactly what should be happening.

> I see some person named "Mark Lord" being responsible for 4 commits.
>
> What pubishment do you plan for him if 2.6.24 ships with any libata
> regressions?
..

If the code I'm touching breaks, then I'll fix it ASAP,
exactly what the users of that code might expect.

>> The reporters can help,
>> and many may even git-bisect or send patches.
>> But you cannot *expect* or *insist* upon them doing your job.
>
> Bullshit.
>
> Bug fixing is not about finding someone to blame, it's about getting the
> bug fixed.
..

It's not about blame, it's about paying attention to breakages in code that a
person claims to be supporting, and then doing their best to resolve the issues.

Again, if one has the time to actively write/modify code such that something breaks,
then that person should also make time to fix the breakages.

> The bug reporter is the person who can reproduce the problem, and if
> it's a regression then bisecting is the natural way of getting nearer
> at getting it fixed.
..
For the third time, no disagreement here.  git-bsect can help in many cases,
but not in all cases.  And it requires a great time commitment from somebody
who's system used to work and now doesn't work.  The person who broke it has
a fair bit of responsibility there, too.

cheers