[alsa-devel] [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

Larry Finger larry.finger at lwfinger.net
Tue Nov 13 18:33:44 CET 2007

Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 04:52:32PM +0100, Benoit Boissinot wrote:
>> Btw, I used to test every -mm kernel. But since I've switched distros
>> (gentoo->ubuntu)
>> and I have less time, I feel it's harder to test -rc or -mm kernels (I
>> know this isn't a lkml problem
>> but more a distro problem, but I would love having an ubuntu blessed
>> repo with current dev kernel
>> for the latest stable ubuntu release).
>
> There are two parts to this.  One is a Ubuntu development kernel which
> we can give to large numbers of people to expand our testing pool.
> But if we don't do a better job of responding to bug reports that
> would be generated by expanded testing this won't necessarily help us.

I'm very encouraged to read of your expanded testing efforts. As a bcm43xx developer, Ubuntu has
been our problem distro, mostly because your standard kernels have debugging turned off for bcm43xx.
When a Ubuntu user reports a problem and we ask for the relevant output from dmesg, they have no
information. I ask two things of all distros: (1) Turn on debugging - we don't spam the logs that
badly, and (2) forward any bugs found by your testing to the maintainer, and/or the bcm43xx mailing
list.

Thanks,

Larry