[alsa-devel] [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

Andrew Morton akpm at linux-foundation.org
Tue Nov 13 13:12:59 CET 2007

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 03:58:24 -0800 (PST) David Miller <davem at davemloft.net> wrote:

> From: Andrew Morton <akpm at linux-foundation.org>
> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 03:49:16 -0800
>
> > Do you believe that our response to bug reports is adequate?
>
> Do you feel that making us feel and look like shit helps?

That doesn't answer my question.

See, first we need to work out whether we have a problem.  If we do this,
then we can then have a think about what to do about it.

I tried to convince the 2006 KS attendees that we have a problem and I
resoundingly failed.  People seemed to think that we're doing OK.

But it appears that data such as this contradicts that belief.

This is not a minor matter.  If the kernel _is_ slowly deteriorating then
this won't become readily apparent until it has been happening for a number
of years.  By that stage there will be so much work to do to get us back to
an acceptable level that it will take a huge effort.  And it will take a
long time after that for the kerel to get its reputation back.

So it is important that we catch deterioration *early* if it is happening.