[alsa-devel] Intel HD Audio

Chris Pemberton cjpembo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 17:43:43 CET 2007

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:07:56 -0600,
> Chris Pemberton wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to fix audio on my Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop for quite
>> some time; on this list and via bug #0003468.  I finally got tired of
>> the xorg graphics woes and hacking for sound, so I am now "temporarily"
>> running Vista.
>> I'd like to get this audio fixed permanently, so if you need any details
>> from the working Vista drivers, let me know before I get sick of Windows
>> and switch back to Linux.
>>

> Well, an over-all experience, what is missing, would be a good input
> (preferablly with a patch ;)
>

> thanks,
>
> Takashi

The machine is a Lenovo 3000 N100.

There are two methods I can choose to get sound working partially:

1.  Edit patch_realtek.c (near line 10971):
     from     SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x17aa, 0x2066, "Lenovo", ALC861VD_LENOVO)
     to         SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x17aa, 0x2066, "Lenovo", ALC861VD_3ST)

2.  Use modprobe snd-hda-intel model=3stack

I guess both methods accomplish the same thing.  I'm not saying I know
the reason why this works, but I'd like to help find out why the
ALC861VD_LENOVO quirk is not working on my machine.

Using this hack, I can hear sound from the speakers and headphones, yet
headphones do not mute the speakers when pluged in.  I can record from
either the built-in or external mic.  Is pluging in an external mic
supposed to mute the internal mic?  (It doesn't).

Here is a pastbin using Kubuntu 7.10 with model=3stack:
http://pastebin.ca/772177

Is there any information I could get from Vista to help?  I can dual boot.

Thanks,

Chris