[alsa-devel] ASoC and a codec that can't be controlled

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu May 31 21:49:39 CEST 2007

Liam Girdwood wrote:

> I think the best place to call snd_soc_new_pcms is in the machine
> driver. This means we don't have to add any pcms that are not used.

True, but the machine driver is probed before the codec driver is probed.  So if you
really need the codec driver to initialize the I2C bus first, then you've got a problem.
Re-arranging the order of probes in soc_probe() is not really a solution.

So on your baord, why does the I2C interface need to be running before anything else can
be probed?

> Yes, the hw_params could return error on anything the machine didn't
> like. e.g. this could be used to workaround quirks.

Would ALSA know to try something else, if a particular combination was rejected?

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale