[alsa-devel] Will the real alsa wiki please stand up?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu May 31 12:17:33 CEST 2007

At Wed, 30 May 2007 20:29:53 +0100,
j t wrote:

> On 5/27/07, Ingo Müller <alsa at ingomueller.net> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Being one of the wiki sysops and certainly the most contributing user of
> > the last half year, I would not only "not put resistance", but greatly
> > appriciate if the two wiki were merged.
>
> I've been looking into this a little more, and I've just found out
> that the official alsa wiki contains 20 articles, while the unofficial
> wiki contains 602 articles. Unless somebody can machine-merge these
> two wikis together, surely it would be a better idea (less effort!) to
> copy the contents of the official into the unofficial, and then
> transfer the whole unofficial one over to the official domain.

Hm, transfering the whole data between different Wikis isn't always
easy especially when they use different wiki backend.  So, I guess it
won't decrease the effort but requires copying twice.

> Am I missing something obvious? (Is there a reason why the new
> official wiki was created "blank", rather than with a dump from the
> unofficial one)?

The primary purpose of the official wiki is to replace the whole old
www.alsa-project.org pages.  Yes, eventually we can merge the
information from unofficial wiki but we should do carefuly with
confirmation of validity of the contents.  In both
www.alsa-project.org and alsa.opensrc.org, many many information are
rotten and obsoleted.  We'd need clean ups at first...

Anyway, volunteers are greatly apreciated.  It's a Wiki, and you are
free to edit!  :)