[alsa-devel] [patch] Re: No state is present for card CMI8738

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed May 23 12:09:59 CEST 2007

At Tue, 22 May 2007 23:02:29 +0200 (CEST),
Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:

> > Regarding the alsactl problem.  When alsactl returns 'no state is
> > present', then it's not necessarily a driver problem but could be
> > rather a system problem.  At least, you have to figure out what is the
> > cause. For example, check /proc/asound/cards whether the driver is
> > really loaded when you call alsactl.
>
> Well, actually I figured out one cause of the problem, namely that alsactl
> wasn't able to access the configuration file. My dumb, but nevertheless,
> alsactl could be way clearer about telling the user what's wrong.

Glad to hear it's no real bug :)

> I suggest the attached patches to improve the comprehensibility of
> alsactl's (error-)behaveour.
>

> Description of patches:
>
> * diff_display_error_on_failing_open_in_load_state:
>    Tells the user that it was not able to open the config file with the
>    precise error message.
>
> * diff_more_explicit_open_w_error_message:
>    Include more explicit error message when open config file in write
>    mode (this is for the "names" command)
>
> * diff_more_explicit_open_w_error_message2
>    same as last patch, this time for the store command
>

> Other little patches:
>
> * diff_missing_space_in_help:
>    adds a space in the help text between "restore" and "<card>" and indents
>    the rest of the text accordingly to fit
>
> * diff4_display_help_for_names_command:
>    shortly explain the "names" command in the help text

Thanks for patches.  I applied them to HG tree with minor fixes:

- fix indentation in
  diff_display_error_on_failing_open_in_load_state
- added "(DEPRECATED)" to help text in
  diff4_display_help_for_names_command
  (names command is deprecated and provided just for compatibility)

Please check the latest tree if it's OK for you.