[alsa-devel] ASoC and a codec that can't be controlled

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Tue May 22 17:47:35 CEST 2007

I'm working on some ASoC drivers for a new board, and we're using a CS4270.  The CS4270 is
interesting in that if it is connected in stand-alone mode, there is no way to configure
it.  The board wirings determine all the parameters.

Therefore, my CS4270 codec driver will probably be very skimpy.

My question is: does this mean that my cs4270.c file will *never* call these functions:

snd_ctl_add
snd_soc_cnew
snd_soc_dapm_new_control
snd_soc_dapm_connect_input
snd_soc_dapm_new_widgets

These are the functions used to add new controls and widgets.

So how does ALSA know that it needs to call my I2S driver *instead* of my codec driver to
do stuff like change volume?

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale