[alsa-devel] Patch - Revo7.1 PCM Playback Switch

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Fri May 18 23:34:55 CEST 2007

On 5/18/07, dustin at seznam.cz <dustin at seznam.cz> wrote:
> I would like to get your opinion on the form of adding this support to the module. The options are either hard-coding the 16 capture channels into the code, assuming that users would prefer as many channels as possible and do the routing in jack, or introducing a module parameter emu1010-capture-channels (range e.g. 1 to 16 - untested yet) and leaving the default number at the existing 8.

I think you should hard code 16 channels.  If this device works
anything like the emu10k1, then you can achieve lower latency by
capturing more channels (because the capture buffer limits are in
bytes, so more channels = fill an N byte buffer faster = lower
latency).

This is how I did multichannel support for the emu10k1 and it works
great, no one has ever complained about wanting to capture fewer
channels...

Lee