[alsa-devel] Can someone verify support for "AzTech Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra II-3D - using AZT-2316/R Chipset - FCC-ID:I38-MMSN846" ?

Rene Herman rene.herman at gmail.com
Tue May 15 00:22:03 CEST 2007

On 05/14/2007 11:53 PM, Rene Herman wrote:

> In the next message I'll post a small userspace program to do the
> enabling from userspace so that you can use that for now and then just
> use either snd-sb8 or snd-sgalaxy to drive the card.

As said. If you execute this as root it should enable the card. You can pick
the base address (the one JMPB0 is set to) with "-p 0x220|0x240". Default is
0x200 if you don't specify one.

You can supply a configuration value yourself; you'd want the same value as
the parameter to EEPROM.SYS in CONFIG.SYS under your DOS install. However,
if you do not supply a a value the card will just be enabled using a default
value (same default value DOS uses) and this should work fine assuming you
have those default resources free/reserved.

so:

sudo ./eeprom
sudo modprobe snd-sb8 port=0x220 irq=5 dma8=1

or

sudo ./eeprom
sudo modprobe snd-sgalaxy sbport=0x220 wssport=0x530

Once you have the card set to wss mode (ie, have loaded snd-sgalaxy) you
can't unload snd-sgalaxy again and start using snd-sb8; the card would have
to be reset to SB mode first again.

After that sudo ./eeprom, the drivers should not only load but in fact work.
Remember to increase/unmute the volumes in a mixer...

The program needs to talk to I/O ports and therefore needs root priviliges.
It's generally a fairly bad idea to run root programs you haven't compiled
yourself, but if compiling this userspace program is also a problem for you
currently, there's a binary at:

http://members.home.nl/rene.herman/eeprom

was compiled on slackware 11.0, staticly linked.

If this still doesn't work you... I'm going to be sad.

Rene.