[alsa-devel] DMix period_size should always be half of buffer size?

Prabhu Sivaraja prabhu.sivaraja at gmail.com
Fri May 4 23:02:33 CEST 2007

Thanks for your help Jaroslav. I am attaching the debug files from
/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0 that I captured while playing a wav file
through aplay. I have attached both instances with 64KB bufsize/32KB
periodsize(works) and 64KB bufsize/4KB periodsize(does NOT work).

Here are the weird things I noticed in the attached debug captures. Maybe it
would make more sense to you.
1. If you take a look at the hw_params file you would see that period and
buffer size reported are 1/4th of what I have declared in the driver. Why is
this? Seems weird.

2. Status file clearly shows the hw_ptr has not moved in the 4KB period
size. I captured these files few secs after starting aplay. hw_ptr never
increments from 0 when period size size is NOT half the buf size. About
calling period_elapsed( ) like you mentioned in your mail, dont you think it
is irrelevant because the hw_ptr never moves to begin with? If it moved for
the first period and then never moved I could see how calling
period_elapsed( ) would matter but in this case where it never moved from
the beginning.

Regards
Prabhu.