[alsa-devel] capture line-out

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Tue Mar 27 03:18:04 CEST 2007

Rene Herman wrote:
> Err, yes. I don't know, but does Teamspeak use the Windows API? If so,
> maybe Fraps captures at the DirectX level and then shoves it back into
> the API so that Windows doesn't even notice. Only guessing...

Sorry about the previous mail.. beryl more often than not sucks :(

Well.. back to the problem. If I understood you correctly, you suggest
to 'hook' functions and intercept the sound data before it's sent to the
hardware, correct? That is more or less what I do when capturing the
graphics (I hook glXSwapBuffers() which the app calls after it finishes
drawing every single frame). That works quite well, but for sound, I'd
have to hook more than one function (mmap vs. write) and implement my
own software mixer in case the app uses more than one device. That would
make it much more complicated.

A better solution would be to temporarily switch the capture device to
'Mic' before the user enables capturing in TeamSpeak (usually using a
hotkey) and starts speaking and set it back to 'Mix' after he finishes.

tom