[alsa-devel] [Alsa-devel] Quality resampling code for libasound

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Mar 26 11:23:08 CEST 2007

At Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:43:58 +1100,
Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> >> OK, so I never quite understood why you don't want BSD-licensed code in
> >> alsa, but I've already said I'm willing to allow relicensing to LGPL as
> >> long as it doesn't mean too much pollution in my source files.
> >
> > That's good.  Keeping the single license in the whole tree is very
> > important.
> >
> > BTW, what one calls "pollution" can be "sanitization" for others.
> > That's the opensource development...
>
> Here's the deal. You give me a paragraph that adds the LGPL license in
> no more then 5 lines and I'll add it to the resampler header now.

Hmm, from where comes this "5 lines" rule?  Usually you need to put
whole sentenses to the code you release under GPL such as below:

  This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
  it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as
  published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of
  the License, or (at your option) any later version.

  GNU Lesser General Public License for more details.

  You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
  License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307 USA

You can put into a single line if you don't fold lines, though :)

> >> Note BTW
> >> that if you want to link with libspeex directly then you'll need to live
> >> with the BSD license because there are some parts of Speex that cannot
> >> be dual-licensed because I don't own the copyright.
> >
> > If we reuse the libspeex shlib, we won't do it from alsa-lib but from
> > the existing plugin in alsa-plugins package.  So, alsa-lib will stay
> > unchanged.
>
> No more plans to have the resampler in alsa-lib?

No merge unless we agree with all issues, of course.
Otherwise someone might blame later.

> > Actually, any optimization would be interesting for us, too.
>
> Good. Actually, if you know anyone good at SSE code, I'm interested :-)

Actually, I'm not sure whether SSE would be much helpful for fixed
point integer operations.  But, perhaps you may know better :)

thanks,